Over the last 30 years, as a result of world leadership through war, America has lost its former moral credibility and has been financially ruined (in 1989, the US debt/GDP ratio was 50%, today it is 136%), but it has held on thanks to its monetary empire and to its European pillar, the moral and economic security of which underpinned the American power.
In this process, the transatlantic alliance has inevitably turned into a yoke that Europe has constantly attempted to shake off over the last twenty years: launching the euro, refusing to follow the US into the second Gulf War, claiming its own sovereignty, marginalising the United Kingdom, launching INSTEX and so on. But the more the Europeans raged, the tighter the halter became. That’s the moment D. Trump arrived, seeking to impose his will even more visibly than the others and thereby confirming the decoupling of the EU from the US (calling into question NATO and various trade relations).
As we had anticipated, the two collateral victims of this policy have been the EU, as it has developed since the Maastricht Treaty in 1992, and America, leader of a great world disorder inaugurated by Bush Sr. in 1991. We will not mourn either of them. For beneath the EU and America, we will begin to envisage what Europe and the USA have really become; better than that, we will envisage what Europeans and Americans have become. And, based on that, both sides of the North Atlantic will finally be able to reinvent themselves and rebuild their alliance… -> READ THE FREE EXCERPT: Transatlantic 21: The centre of gravity of the transatlantic relationship is shifting towards Europe
GEAB 146 (15/06/2020) in summary:
- COVID-19 / America21: Fatal chain reaction : Last month, we anticipated a risk of derailment of the centuries-old machine of the American elections. With optimism, we hypothesised that an exceptional context could lead to an extraordinary election […]
- Europe 2020-2028: 750 billion euro to change the paradigm… and save the USA : As the virus attacks what, since 1945, has been viewed as the core of the Western reactor, namely America, it is propelling Europe, regenerated by twelve years of reflection, to […]
- Second half of 2020 – The European test of peace in the Middle East : In theory, Europe currently seems much more compatible with the multipolar world of the 21st century than the United States. But it still needs to prove it. From 1st July, […]
- The World After: The emergence of the Sovereign Digital Citizen : Digital data is the new black gold; the adage is familiar, but the stakes involved less so. With the COVID-19 pandemic, the world has achieved a two-year digital transformation within […]
- Energy 2020-2050: COP26 must map out the path towards an Intelligent Energy Future : Energy producers, distributors and investors worldwide are currently facing a triple whammy of falling demand, falling capacity and price wars that cannot fail to undermine the international corporate-based energy system […]
- Investments, trends and recommendations (Jun 2020) : Oil: Displacement of another centre of gravity China, the largest importer of oil, is about to finalise the security of its energy supply system. Its strategy is based on the […]